1. a. The period of time during which Earth completes a single revolution around the sun, consisting of 365 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes, and 12 seconds of mean solar time. In the Gregorian calendar the year begins on January 1 and ends on December 31 and is divided into 12 months, 52 weeks, and 365 or 366 days. Also called calendar year.
b. A period approximately equal to a year in other calendars.
c. A period of approximately the duration of a calendar year.
2. A sidereal year.
3. A solar year.
4. A period equal to the calendar year but beginning on a different date: a tax-reckoning year; a farming year.
5. A specific period of time, usually shorter than 12 months, devoted to a special activity: the academic year.
6. years Age, especially old age: I’m feeling my years.
7. years An indefinitely long period of time: it’s been years since we saw her.
For The Riverside restaurant in Braunton, hub of the North Devon surf shop scene, only definitions 1.a. and c., and 4. are relevant, as it is exactly one year since we opened!!!
May 28th 2010, saw us frantically finishing off details, getting the bar stocked, and the pizza oven hot in readiness for that big friday night party, that if you attended, you probably don’t recall (the details) particularly clearly!! It was fun, that’s all I know, and so has the rest of the year been since….
…all a bit hazy, if I’m honest – from day 1 the Riverside was rammed to the gunnels, and we were racing ahead with the other half of our ambitious (some say crazy!) plan, and building and readying the King’s Arms in nearby Georgeham at the same time (the pub opened 4 weeks to the day later, but more on that in a month’s time….)
So May til about October, when things calmed a little, will forever be a blurred set of crazy, joyous, fun memories…and I have YOU all to thank for that.
From friends who have heard me bangin on about getting a business started for years, to those who’ve been brilliantly telling me to get on with it, to those just curious, and those who had never stepped foot in North Devon before, the support has been phenomenal, and for that I thank you all even more.
It’s way far from perfect, with loads to do yet, but I’m always looking for improvements, and open to hearing your critiques, but I love the way things have rolled, and look forward to year 2!!!
I am experiencing Definition 6. above a little, but loving it!!
Thank you NDev Massif!! Stick your head in for a pizza or a cold beer soon….